1. It ... Sunday evening.
2. Everybody looked tired and wanted to go ... home.
3. Mr. Candy locked the door and ... outside.
4. The weather ... fine.
5. ... sun was shining brightly in the cloudless sky.
6. He decided to go ... home on foot.
7. The house he lived in was not far ... and soon he was there.
8. ... door was blocked by the police.
9. No matter how ... , he couldn’t get in.
he tried hard
hard he tried
tried he hard
10. It wasn’t really funny because Mr. Candy ... a date that night.
11. He felt ... bit nervous.
12. Then he suddenly ... to see his father.
13. His father calmed him ... .
14. Mr. Candy realized that everything what ... wasn’t really important.
15. “Things ... happen”, he thought.
16. When he … next morning, he felt as good as never.
17. He made up his mind to start a new… .
18. Mr. Candy was sure that his life ... change greatly soon.
19. An interesting story happened ... my friends last year.
20. ... painting disappeared from my friends’ house.
21. Let me explain how the situation ... .
22. Somebody stole the picture, that ... in town the day before.
23. It was ... heavy to hang on the wall and was left on the floor of the hall.
24. ... wanted to go to the restaurant, so all stayed to have dinner at home.
25. The dinner smelled ... good.
26. All Jim ... that day was a sandwich.
27. “What do you think ... your new painting?” – asked Bob.
28. “Oh, it is extremely expensive and beautiful”, ... Jim.
29. After dinner he wanted ... the painting but found nothing in the hall.
to have look at
to have a look at
to have a look on
30. We didn’t believe him at first, but ... he said was quite true.
31. The sudden noise ... .
made everybody jump
made everybody to jump
made everybody jumped
32. It was Rachel ... arrived.
33. Why did she always ... to see Jim at the worst possible moment?
34. ... at the fact that the painting had disappeared, Rachel couldn’t say a word.
35. The thief was thought to have escaped by climbing ... the wall.
36. In the morning Rachel persuaded me to play ... tennis.
37. The match was abandoned after ... .
half an hour
half of an hour
the half an hour
38. Nobody felt ... after what had happened.
at the ease
39. The next day I ... to a woman outside the house.
heard a man talked
heard a man to talk
heard a man talking
40. I ... the woman’s voice at once – no doubt, it was Rachel.
41. I was about to ... my chair during the talk.
fall out of
42. Rachel ... the painting and was ready to sell it at a fabulous price.
43. When I told everybody about it, she ... a terrible look as if she wanted to kill me at the moment.
gave to me
gave at me
44. “Sorry, I meant to tell you that I ... take the painting for a while, but I forgot.”
45. Such stupid ... we heard that we were shocked.
the lie was
was the lie
be the lie
46. This was the first time Jim ... her real nature.
47. She ... out of the house and disappeared in the wood.
48. By the time we got to Rachel’s hotel, she ... .
had booked out
49. We couldn’t ... how well she managed to get off with the punishment.
50. Suffice it to say that she never ... and returned the painting.